Tangy Meatballs (Gluten Free) (Served over rice)
Tangy Meatballs (Served over rice)
This recipe is a combination of my moms "pineapple meatballs" and another sauce recipe I found. I just recently changed it again to make it "Gluten Free". (The quick oats replace the same quantity of crushed crackers.) It's one of our favorite meals when I remember to thaw out the ground beef ahead of time. You can make the meatballs and use them in other recipes too. Adding them to a pasta sauce for spaghetti and meatballs another favorite of ours.
|Gluten Free Meatballs - So Good!|
- 1 1 / 2 pd ground beef
- 2 / 3 quick oats (gluten-free oatmeal)
- 1 / 3 cup minced onion (2 tbls if dried)
- 1 egg
- 1 / 2 tsp salt
- 1 / 4 tsp ginger
- 1 / 4 cup milk
- 1 cup Ketchup (gluten free)
- 1 / 2 brown sugar
- 3 / 4 cup water
- 1 tbls Worcestershire sauce (gluten free)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 c.
- Prepare baking sheet by lining it with foil. (It makes clean up easier.)
- Combine ingredients in bowl: meat, oatmeal, onion, egg, salt, ginger and milk.
- Shape meatballs. (Each meat ball is about 2 tbsp big - shape with spoons or hands.)
- Cook for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare your favorite white rice as per instructions on box or bag.
- Prepare sweet and tangy sauce.
- Combine ingredients in medium size saucepan: Ketchup, brown sugar, water, Worcestershire sauce, onions.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add add cooked meatballs.
- Serve over rice.
|Just before they went into the oven.|
- I like to cut up my quick oats before adding them so that the meatballs keep their shape better. I either pulse them in a small dedicated coffee grinder (not used for coffee beans) or I cut them up with a knife. (The grinder is less messy but be careful not to make a powder - you still want small pieces.)
- It gives us about 6 portions (meals).
- Freezes well if you have leftovers.
|Original recipe card.|
I copied this from my mom's recipe book over 30 years ago.